UT COMMUNITY USE OF THE PAINTER HALL TELESCOPE
Students, faculty and staff of the University have access to the telescope for their own use after they have been checked-out on telescope operating procedures. The telescope is also open to the general public on Friday and Saturday nights: more information
STEPS FOR GETTING CHECKED OUT ON THE PAINTER HALL TELESCOPE
The 9-inch Painter Hall Telescope is also available for Student, Faulty and Staff individual reservation by the following procedures:
1. Read the instruction booklet on-line at http://outreach.as.utexas.edu/students/painterbook.html Study it until you are sure that you can operate the telescope safely.
2. Watch the Painter Hall Instructional video.
The video is available as a Quicktime file in two sizes: Large - 50 MB or Small - 16 MB
3. Attend a public night to get familliar with the telescope (see schedule at http://outreach.as.utexas.edu/public/painter.html). While you are there, make arrangements with the TA (the person who is running the telescope at the public viewing) to be checked out individually.
4. At the checkout, you will need to demonstrate knowledge of the use of the telescope. The TA will also ask you to move the telescope to a few objects to show that you are comfortable operating it.
5. Upon successful check out, you may reserve the telescope by signing up in the desired time slot of the sign up sheet in RLM 15.220.